23 June 2011

dd, wimbledon edition

Guess what? It's on! It always creeps up on me, and I think I've finally realized this year that it's always on soon after school gets out. Yet another reason for me to look forward to the end of the school year!

Wimbledon is the only sporting event that I actually care about, and by "care about" I mean:
*I actually know and understand all the rules of the sport (or at least I think I do).
*I only know the really famous players.
*I will occassionally learn the other players' names.
*I usually don't care who wins (which leads me to frequently root for the underdog).
*I prefer watching men's matches, but will also watch women's matches (and judge their clothing choices).

I don't get as excited for the US Open, Australian Open or the French Open. If I happen to see a match with a player who I recognize then I'll watch it, but for whatever reason Wimbledon has a special place in my heart. Maybe it's the fact that it's in London, or played on grass, or that they all have to wear white. I don't know, I just love it!

Someday I will attend a Wimbledon match. It's on my list of things to do before I die. Maybe I'll start setting aside some money and go next year. Anyone want to come?!

2 comments:

Diana said...

I love it too! I think it is partially because Darin would watch and explain it to me (us?) and it was something we actually enjoyed watching together (cue sappy siblings love each other music). I'll go with you next year!

Unknown said...

i'll go as long as you promise we also get tea and crumpets.